Sunday, April 2, 2017

VIMY; A Hundred Years Later.

There will be a massive and sombre memorial service next week in France.
Thousands will attend and if I had my choice I would be there also.
Actually my son Mark and I were at Vimy almost three years ago and as I walked the battle field I was frequently brought to tears.
It was here on this ridge along the Somme River that the Canadian forces recorded one of the most dramatic breakthroughs of the First World War. The operation to storm the ridge was one of the best planned and executed raids in the history of modern warfare. It was a combination of the courage of Canadian troops and the vision of inspired leadership that broke German resistance and initiated the end of this bloody four year conflict.
I have more than an interest in the history of the event. My Uncle Oliver had fought a few miles further West of Vimy in the long and ghastly battle of the Somme. 
As a teenager it never occurred to me to question my Uncle about his experiences in the first World War. He might never have told me  about the battles any way. He was a man who for years was locked in the silence of his own memories. However, I do recall one comment that he made in a family discussion. It was brief.
As he exhaled on his cigarette he simply said "War is hell," and left it at that.
Sixty years later I need no elaboration.
 VIMY April 10th 1917.   LEST WE FORGET.

Ian.

No comments: